Saturday 20 September 2014

The big bad wolf

My name's Stacey. I live with my dad and two brothers. Life's not so good at the moment, but I still get to go see mum after school at the hospital. Dad used to come with me but last week he stopped. I know he's given up on her. He thinks she won't wake up.
My brothers are called lance and Keith. They're alright as far as brothers go. We live in a housing estate in Birmingham, it's a pretty rough area and my school shows it. There's this one guy, calls himself "the wolf". He's a complete and utter tosser. He sticks peoples heads down the loo, steals lunch money and generally makes a prat of himself. He calls me Steve. Says I look like a man. Go figure.
But I made a mistake. Capital M, mistake.
This morning in English Mr Smith made us write about our family. I felt like screaming at him. We're not in primary school anymore! Plus obviously he knew about my mum.
Then he picked on me to read mine out, the sod. So there I stood announcing my mothers medical history to the class.
And when I looked up twenty three pairs of eyes gazed at me with pity. And one pair with an almost sadistic glee as if I'd offered him a challenge.
As I walked to the hospital that day, intrusive eyes followed me. The whole school knew. I didn't look, I just kept my head up and walked past. Never show them you care, that's what my dad always says.
It was going fine until I passed wolf. He stopped bullying a first former to come and walk by me. Wow. I feel honoured.
"You going to see your mum?" He leaned in and said in a low voice, deep and rough as if he didn't want anyone to hear. That wasn't like him. However I didn't want to waste time on him so I didn't reply, just kept walking.
"Hey, Darren, leave her alone." Lance came and joined me, walking on the opposite side to wolf. Both boys leaned in towards me, as if spoiling for a fight. I felt trapped between them, almost claustrophobic.
Wolf sneered at Lance, "I was talking to Steve, gay boy. What's up? Are you jealous?"
"Fuck off, Darren, that's my sister."
"And that's any better?" Wolf flashed a predatory smile.
"She doesn't have time for your shit,"
"I know, she's off to see her mum before she kicks the bucket." Lance pushed me out the way and shoved wolf against a wall. We'd walked down an alleyway. No one could see us here.
"For the last time. Darren. Piss off." He released him and wolf panted, angry at being humiliated like that. 
"Race to the hospital?" He said, then sprinted away. Without thinking I chased after him, not caring to speculate what he might do when he got there, I just chased. Lance fell behind, he wasn't as quick as me. 
Brick lined alleyways flew past and dissolved into clinically clean white corridors. I followed him until he dived into a patients room. I panicked, that wasn't even my mothers room. I ran to the door and saw him stand there, facing me, defiantly. 
An aged man occupied the bed. His eyes closed peacefully as he was asleep. Wolf lay a hand on the mans shoulder.
"Don't think you're alone." He said, "you're just the same as me."

No comments:

Post a Comment