Sunday 21 September 2014

Empty house syndrome

When you are the only person in your house you suddenly notice all sorts of noises and shadows which have been there the whole time but the lack of movement allows them to be heard and seen. 
Your breathing seems unnaturally loud and you might be aware of your pulse throbbing in your throat. Unseen supporting beams and hidden pipes creak in the walls and somewhere close by water drips.
Tiny mouse paws are amplified by echoey hallways and wooden floors and it suddenly seems as though below my feet is a little troupe of tap dancing rodents.
Shadows seem darker and the slightest of movements in the house seem eery and unnatural. The fridge hums with energy and water is rushing through some pipes somewhere to some unknown destination.
Next doors dog barks and cars rush past in ululating whispers. One passes with the window open, spewing out a heavy bass beat which grows then fades as they pass by. 
The phone rings and I start at the sudden noise. I let it ring twice then answer its Mia.
"Hey babe, my brothers driving me crazy, can I come round?" 
I look around and feel the urge to fill the empty space and silence.
"Yeah, of course. In fact, let's have a sleepover, stay the night."

No comments:

Post a Comment