Friday 19 September 2014

Moving on

I've been friends with the same three girls for five years, but lately one started dating my ex boyfriend, another came out of the closet and the other... Well she was never that talkative to begin with so I don't really know her. Of course we're still best friends and there's no one that could ever replace them but I just don't feel the need to be connected at the hip anymore.
Sure I'll go sit with them at lunch of there's no one there, and conversation with them is just as amusing as usual, But I'm spending more time with my new friends, the two new girls at school. I don't know why in particular, there was no big row, no argument and yet I am separated from them by an untraceable, undetectable line. Like clingfilm almost in its frail beauty. It's weak, but that division is still there.
Perhaps I'm just subconiously focusing on my work more, or trying to help the new girls settle in, but I feel that they don't need me so much. I'm not being excluded from them, there is no malice or spite involved, our friendship has just moved on.
As I browse this thought more I realise there doesn't even need to be a word to describe the subtle change in our dynamics. It's not even a separation, it's just a change. And perhaps that's not a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment